THE 2012 GSIS ART COMPETITION
GSIS Art Competition
THE 2012 GSIS ART COMPETITION
The Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) is inviting Filipino artists to join the 2012 GSIS Art Competition. Now on its 8th year, GSIS is encouraging the public to be with us in giving tribute to our brilliant artists. We are inviting our artist to join the competition and explore their best in conceptualizing their entries and produced new and liberated works.
Official entry forms are available in all GSIS offices (Headquarters, Regional Offices and Satellite Offices) and other offices and galleries starting April 23, 2012.
Please read all the mechanics, rules and regulations carefully. The GSIS shall be strict in the implementation of the guidelines set. Entries could be disqualified for technical reasons.
CATEGORIES & ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1) There will still be three (3) categories for this year’s competition:
I. Representational [any style, realistic, stylized (distorted figure), representational cubism, etc] in VERTICAL / PORTRAIT ORIENTATION
II. Non-representational (abstract) i.e. purely non-representational, norecognizable figures and objects in HORIZONTAL / LANDSCAPE ORIENTATION
2) The competition is open to all Filipino artists age 18 years old (by June 2, 2012) and above. Participants can submit one entry per category. There is no participation fee.
3) The theme for the Representational Painting Category is “Maaasahan ng Lingkod Bayan.”
4) The theme for the Non-representational Painting and Sculpture is open. Artists are free to explore any topic or subject.
5) For the REPRESENTATIONAL category, the required size is 4 feet x 3 feet (vertical / portrait orientation only excluding frame). Its weight should not exceed10 kilos (including frame).
For the NON-REPRESENTATIONAL category, the required size is 3 feet x 4 feet (horizontal / landscape orientation only excluding frame). Allowed also in DIPTYCH or TRIPTYCH. Its weight should not exceed 10 kilos (including frame).
5.1 All entries must be ready for hanging (museum wrap or box type is allowed)
5.2 The medium acceptable is only oil on canvas, acrylic on canvas or watercolor. Entry using collage, decoupage, assemblage or use of non-pigment based materials like paper, board, plastic metal, etc. IS NOT allowed. The entry must hang on a wall to qualify. Appropriate support, and/or equivalent devices should be provided to ensure the proper hanging of the artwork (ready for hanging). [For watercolor entries, any watercolor paper is allowed EXCEPT Illustration Board]
6) For sculpture, LENGTH – minimum of 18 inches and maximum of 36 inches; DEPTH – minimum of 12 inches and maximum of 24 inches; HEIGHT – minimum of 24 inches and maximum of 48 inches; WEIGHT- should be between 10 kilos and 50 kilos ; entry should have its own pedestal (when appropriate) but the height of pedestal is not included in the measurement of the entry.
6.1 Entries must be done in the generally accepted medium for sculpture such as Metal (steel, brass, copper, aluminum, et al); Hardwood (narra, mahogany, yakal, et al); Stone (marble, alabaster, granite, limestone, et al); Terracotta or stoneware (porcelain, ceramic, et al); Resin and other durable sculpture media.
7) The entry must be dated not earlier than 2012 must be his/her original work, and must not have been exhibited before nor revised nor awarded a prize in another contest.
The entry painting or sculpture MUST BE SIGNED but must be covered with masking tape prior to submission, to conceal the artist’s identity. It must also be properly labeled at the back, indicating the information/profile of the artist (Name, Address, and Contact Numbers) Title of the work, Medium, Size, Year and Price.
9) All participants must be responsible for their entries. The GSIS shall not undertake any pick-up or transportation of any artwork to or from any point of origin. WET PAINTINGS AND “WET” SCULPTURES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
10) Entries must only be submitted at the GSIS Museum located at the GSIS Main Office, Financial Center, Reclamation Area, Pasay City (CCP Complex – Diosdado Macapagal Ave) on June 2, 2012 (SATURDAY) FROM 8:00 AM UNTIL 5:00 PM only.
11) Entries submitted before or after the stated date and time shall not be accepted. Mail forwarders coming from the provinces should be advised by the participants themselves that the entry will only be accepted on the said submission date. Participants from the provinces are also encouraged to group together so that bringing or shipping their entries to Pasay City will be cheaper.
12) During the submission, the entry must have the following:
Completely filled-up and signed official entry form with one (1) 1” x 1” ID colored picture.
Photocopy of ONE valid ID (for age verification). The only acceptable IDs include: Current School ID, PRC License, Driver’s License, Official Company ID, copy of Passport, Postal ID, SSS ID, GSIS-E-card, Senior Citizen’s ID, Voter’s ID, NBI/Police Clearance, AAP Membership ID.
5” x 7” colored photo of the work with the following information written at the back: Artist (Name, Address, and Contact Numbers) Title of the work, Medium, Size, Year and Price.
Notarized affidavit of the ENTRY FORM certifying originality of entry and subscription to the rules and regulations of the competition.
JUDGING, PRIZES AND AWARDING DATE
13) Announcement and awarding of winners will be held on June 22, 2012, Friday 6:00 PM at the GSIS Theater.
14) Cash Awards for the winners:
REPRESENTATIONAL AND NON- REPRESENTATIONAL
1st Prize – P 300,000.00
2nd Prize – 200,000.00
3rd Prize – 100,000.00
Five Honorable mentions for each category- P 20,000.00 each
1st Prize – P 200,000.00
2nd Prize – 150,000.00
3rd Prize – 100,000.00
ALL PRIZES ARE SUBJECT TO 20% TAX PER
15) All major prize winning entries will automatically become properties of the GSIS and will be included in the GSIS Art Collection.
16) Judges may decide not to award prizes if the entries do not meet certain artistic and competition requirements. All decisions of the board of judges SHALL BE FINAL.
17) The intellectual property rights over all prize-winning works and other non-winning works shall be given to the GSIS in perpetuity. This includes the right to use, produce or reproduce, prepare derivative works of the designs for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by GSIS without further compensation to the artist or his heirs and assignees.
18) The GSIS Museum reserves the right to use the name and photo of the artist and his/her entry for free in any broadcast, or print medium. The artist also grants GSIS the right to exhibit the entries as deemed fit. DUE TO LIMITED SPACE, NOT ALL ENTRIES WILL BE EXHIBITED. The GSIS reserves the right to decide which of the entries will be displayed during the competition exhibition. LIKEWISE, THE GSIS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DECIDE WHICH OF THE ENTRIES WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE CATALOGUE OF ENTRIES.
19) All entries on display should not be sold or taken out from the museum within the duration of the exhibit. The artist is responsible in dealing with the prospective buyer(s).
20) All possible care will be taken for the entries submitted. However, THE GSIS MUSEUM ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO THE ENTRIES BEFORE, DURING AND/OR AFTER THE COMPETITION. The artist shall hold the GSIS and/or any of its officers or staff free and harmless for any liability/claims for loss, damage or injury to the works while in exhibit or in storage.
21) ALL NONE WINNING ENTRIES MUST BE RETRIEVED BY THE PARTICIPANTS OR THEIR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES STARTING JULY 14 (SATURDAY) UNTIL AUGUST 25, 2012 ONLY. UNCLAIMED ARTWORKS AFTER THIS DATE WILL BE DISPOSED OF BY THE GSIS MUSEUM ACCORDINGLY.
22) Officers of AAP and other individual artists tapped to assist the GSIS are not allowed to participate in the said competition.
For inquiries please call the following numbers
(02) 859-0395 or 0929-171-4091
/or email at firstname.lastname@example.org